Thursday, 28 March 2013

Reflection Two


Reflection Two

Computer World 


In my centre computers are placed at children’s level and are readily available for exploration, as Johnson, 2005; Mayesky, 2009; Retting, 1998, state, centre’s should provide a variety of play materials with different levels of complexity, as well as time for exploration. These computers have arts, social science, music and movements software, thus integrating computer technology into teaching and learning. “Also age appropriate software maximizes children’s learning by enhancing their inventive thinking, self-expression, team work and creation of high quality products, all of which are essential skills for the twenty first century (Haugland, 2001; NAEYC, (1996b)”. As we all know toddlers are curious learners and like to explore and as such the material and resources that are provided should reflect their expanding world, community, culture and their increasing interest in all subject areas; and promote problem solving (Copple & Bredekamp, 2006).

I was in the outdoor area with the children and saw ‘Z’ looking up at the sky. She came up to me and said, “Look moon”. I was confused, if I should agree with her or disagree as we normally teach children that we see sun at day time and moon at night. As Te Whāriki, states adults should be consistent, reliable, and realistic in their expectations and responses (Ministry of Education, 1996. p.55)”. I wanted to provide ‘Z’ with an honest and consistent reply, so I questioned and asked if she has seen the moon before during day time.  I informed ‘Z’ that we have to find the answer by going on the computer. Once indoor we went to the computer to find the answer.  Tsantis, Bewick & Thouvenelle, (2003) suggest  that, when teachers are unfamiliar and un engaging in the process of helping children, and  reflecting on what children are learning while using the computer, they are seriously diminishing the value of technology. When we went online on a laptop I made sure that children knew that this was a computer. Just like the computer they use, but this laptop was smaller and has other programmes for adult use. Technology helps children to expand their understanding about a topic or reinforce concepts they already learned. (Tsantis, Bewick & Thouvenelle, 2003).

The learning that happened in the outdoor was based on the disposition of curiosity. This was an inquiry into science about how the moon and sun rotate around the earth.  `Z’ had shown questioning skills, and ability to question the concept she already knew. When technology was used to answer that question children were made aware that technology can be used in different ways to solve problems. According to the communication strand of Te Whāriki, “children gain experience in using communication technologies such as crayons, paintbrushes, pencils, calculators, books, and computers (Ministry of Education, 1996. p.97)”. For me as an educator it was necessary to provide basic computer awareness to the toddlers, as observation and investigation by Wheatley (2003), discuss the long term affects on preschool children with and without computer experience. Data confirmed noticeable positive differences for the children who had the opportunity to use computers appropriately. They exhibited increased comfort in using computers and greater understanding of how to use computers in a more purposeful way in their learning, as compared to the children who did not have the opportunity.   


I was able to relate the learning in the outdoor to a technological context as New Zealand curriculum (2007) states, “knowledge and skills are learned in context. By offering a variety of contexts, teachers help their students to recognise links and develop generic understandings (p.32)”. I was particularly not keen on using computers with toddlers, as I did not want them to get addicted to computers. The reason being a mother of two teen aged children I have seen them using computers all the time. I want them to enjoy outdoors at this age, but as we are living in a technological society children are keeping up with time. But when I used a computer to resolve the query I felt that computers are easy access and hassle free to operate for all ages.



Reference
 Copple, C., & Bredekamp, S. (2006). Basics of developmentally appropriate practice: An introduction for teachers of children 3 to 6. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children.
Haugland, S. (2001). What role should technology play in young children’s learning? Part 2.  Early childhood classrooms in the 21st Century: Using computers to maximize learning. Young Children, 55(10, 12-18.
Isenberg, J. & Jalongo, M. (2010). Creative Thinking & Arts-Based Learning -Preschool Through Fourth Grade. 5th (ed.). NJ. Person Education, Inc.,
Johnson, J., Christie, J., & Wardle, F. (2005). Play, development and early education.Boston: Pearson Education, Inc.
Mayesky, M. (2009). Creative activities for young children (9th ed.). Clifton Park, NY: Delmar/Cengage Learning.
Ministry of Education. (1996). Te Whāriki, he whaariki mātauranga mo nga mokopuna o Aotearoa: Early childhood curriculum. Wellington, New  Zealand: Learning Media.

Ministry of Education. (2007). The New Zealand curriculum. Wellington, New Zealand: Learning Media.

National Association for the Education of Yong Children. (1996b). Position statement: Technology and young children – ages three through eight. Young Children, 5(6), 11-16.

Retting, M. (1998). Environmental influences on play of young children with disabilities. Education and Training in Mental Retardation and Developmental Disabilities, 33(2), 189-194.

Tsantis, L. A., Bewick, C. J., & Thouvenelle, S. (2003). Examining some common myths about computer use in the early years. Young Children, 58(1), 1-9.

Wheatley, K.F. 2003. Increasing computer use in early childhood teacher education: The case of a “computer muddler.” Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education 2 (4): 12.




5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These days in New Zealand, teaching without a computer is unthinkable. As soon as I read your reflection I googled for the daytime moon and here is the result that I got.
    You can find a daytime moon provided these factors.
    • Look within a week or so of the date of full moon.
    • Before full moon, look for the daytime moon in the afternoon.
    • After full moon, look for the daytime moon in the morning.
    • Look up! The daytime moon is often up there, but it’s pale against the blue sky.
    Byrd (2013) said, “I heard a daytime moon was called a ‘children’s moon’ because their eyes were sharp enough to pick it out, where the old folks, with fading vision, could not tell it from the clouds” (para.3&6).
    You could show the pictures of the above factors to your toddlers with the centre’s computer. The link is given below.
    Byrd, D. (2013) When can you see a daytime moon? Retrieved from http://earthsky.org/space/when-can-you-see-a-daytime-moon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great reflection Varsha on computers. It was great to see how well you worked with the child outise about the moon, as well as being honest about it. Moreover, it was also good to see how you extended the child's learning by supporting her learning and encouraging her to use the internet and the computer to find our more about how the moon operated during the day time. You could also bring in books that children can see and observe through different pictures about the moon as well as encouraging other types of technology. Also, you could teach children about youtube and how they could also watch videos about the moon on youtube. What an awesome reflection Varsha you have written here about the importance of the computer and how significant the use of the computer is on children's learning and development.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same as Varsha, in thinking that toddlers should spend more time outside than sitting at the computer. However, I realised how useful a computer is when we are helping young children to research a topic. In Varsha's case, it was about the moon. I was impressed how reliable and realistic her response to her student 'Z' was. Teachers in my centre also use a lap top computer as a problem resolving tool with preschoolers. The children in my centre have 4 separate classrooms for the infant group, the toddler group, the 3 year group, and the 4 year group. I have never been to the toddler's room so I am now curious whether they use a computer with toddlers. We can actually see the moon in the day time but this depends on the age of the moon. You could teach your students about it by using the lap top computer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think every parent who has teenage children shares the same feeling of getting frustrated of their children getting addicted to use of computers but I think that we forget that they are living in technological world. For me personally I hate using it due to my lack of knowledge and skills of using computer but saying that I can’t hide the fact that today technology is everywhere. I think it is a quick and easy way to find the information especially Google is a boon. Children gain experience using communication technology such as crayons, paintbrush, books and computers in order to solve their problems. (Ministry of Education, 1996).With regard to the question of moon in your reflection I would suggest you to show some video clips from you tube and also find some CDS to create more interest, curiosity and make the concept clear to children.

    ReplyDelete